After doing a bit of research I decided to go for it. First I had to find some dirt that had nothing in it except dirt (no fertilizers). Then I had to find a tank to hold my fish temporarily. Then I had to make time to get it done.
When I had the time I transferred water to the borrowed tank and moved my fish over. I completely drained my tank, cleaned it out, then added some topsoil to the bottom. I then cleaned all the gravel I had and put a small covering on top of the topsoil.
After a trip to a fish store I then planted my new plants in the dirt, added some decorative wood, then began the process of filling the tank.
Soon after the tank was full I noticed the discoloured water. I expected this, but it got very dark quite quickly. Nightly for about a week I would flush out 30% – 50% of the water. By this point I was getting tired of this, but I was committed. I kept with it until it seemed to stabilize. It is still coloured, but at least I can see my fish.
A few more google searches later I may have found the culprit of the water colouring. The expensive fancy wood I bought. Grr. I may take it out to see what happens, but I like the look of it. I am not sure what to do about that.
Today I added some more plants and two more yellow Platy’s. I’m hoping this works out. I do like the planted tanks and I am looking forward to less maintenance.